Mr. Brightside

I love the Killers, I'd definitely call my self quite a big fan. I have about fifty Killers songs clogging up my ITunes and always welcome their songs on shuffle.



So it's a new day and I'm still miserable. I just don't feel at home, at home any more if that makes any sense. It's just boring. Everyone is different, friends, family etc... I've definitely put Pontefract behind me now. I hate Stoke but I love it and I miss my independence and housemates.

Nevertheless, I have Mr. Brightside in my head today, a song that keeps me cheery. I'm excited to write about it actually because technically, whether you think it or not it is one of the BIGGEST tunes of the 21st Century. That's not just my opinion either.

  •  UK radio stations Absolute radio and XFM named it "song of the decade". 
  • It was also revealed in April 2010 by Last.Fm that it was the most listened to track since the launch of online music services. 
  • It has also been voted number 9 in the greatest guitar riffs of the 21st century by Total Guitar Magazine. 

This song just takes me back to great nights out. You can guarantee that you will hear this song at some point on your night out. It is an old classic which will never get old.
The second it comes on you can just see everyone brighten up and start jumping up and down.

Especially in the club in my home town, BIG FELLAS. There are no words to describe Big Fella's all I can say is it's an experience everyone needs to have and unless you experience it yourself, you cannot be told.

This is always the last song they play as everyone is leaving. (Unless your in the room upstairs, then it's the Postman Pat theme tune.)


I couldn't help myself I had to pop it in. Don't ask me why they play it. It takes me back to my childhood when things were simple. Those were the days <3

Anyway, getting back on track. This song was the first song ever written By Brandon Flowers and David Keuning. It was on their Debut album Hot fuss which was released in 2004 although the song was originally made in 2001.

This song has pretty much always been on my playlist. Considering I was about 13 when the song was released this sounds about right. The Killers Album was one of the first I bought myself.

They are getting back together in May 2011 so I'm going to make it my mission to see them, I can almost guarantee they will play Mr.Brightside, they always have.

Did you know:

  • They have been up for 7 Grammy's but have never won, but they have won a a Brit awards and two NME awards.
  • This song is one of the longest chart sitters in the 21st Century being in the top 100 for 71 weeks altogether. January 2010 was when it was last in, that's SIX years after it was first released.
  • They made 2 demo's of the song before they released it in 2003 and gave them out for free. 

1 comment:

Josh Stevens said...

Best band Ever!!! but not one of their best songs. Watch 'How to train your Dragon' and bare in mind the song that starts the credits off ;) blatantly going to get grief off everyone for this but is a class song :D xx