Twelve days of chirstmas

I know it is late but being a student I am terribly busy doing assignments etc..
Anyway my Earworm today has been inspired by the fact that my housemates and I HAVE PUT UP CHRISTMAS DECORATIONS. I know a lot of you may be thinking, it's a bit early isn't it...

Well I say... Bah Humbug Get some Christmas Spirit. It only comes once a year.

The song I've chosen isn't the most popular but it is still one I sing every year.

 
12 drummers drumming
11 pipers piping
10 lords-a-leaping
9 ladies dancing
8 maids-a-milking
7 swans-a-swimming
6 geese-a-laying
5 Gold Rings
4 calling birds
3 french hens
2 turtle doves
And a partrige in a pear tree


It excites me that Christmas is around the corner and I've already done the majority of my shopping.

Doesn't this song just take you back to your youth and give you a great Christmassy feel. We are all ready in this household.

So what you all getting me for Crimbo?

Did you know:

  • It is sung in France, Scotland and Australia too and they all have totally different lyrics, the French sing each number as if it is another addition to the dinner plate.
  • It was first published in England in 1780 but some evidence shows it to be from earlier than that and of French origin.
  • The twelve days of Christmas don't start until after Christmas. I may sound daft for not knowing that but i'm sure i'm not the only one. This surprised me. I don't think it makes complete sense. 
It's great though, for that Christmas vibe. The count down starts soon hope you all have your advent calenders ready!

3 comments:

Josh Stevens said...

Bah Humbug indeed. Some shops and people take the decorating a tad early e.g. Trafford center had xmas decorations up before halloween last year. But i do not want to thank the french for a cool song. (also your getting a poundland bag for xmas :P haha) x

Anonymous said...

Tbh I prefer the 12 Days Of Mittal.
Get Kat to sing you it for you, it'll be a treat for your ears :) x

Jess Enright said...

Yessss Christmas songs :D were putting up our tree now and listening to the pogues! xx