Dreidel

Really odd Earworm today. A traditional Chanukah song. Dreidel Dreidel Dreidel.

Now i'm not Jewish, in fact i'm Christian so I can't really explain my song choice. All I can say is my housemates and I sing this ALL the time. For no apparent reason.

We love it and it tickles us. It started at a yearly festival called Leeds and Reading Festival and my housemates friend sang it (who knows why) and it has just stuck ever since.

I obviously went to the Leeds Festival (the better one).

I am deadly serious if you do not know the song don't listen to it because it is so infectious. You will have it in your head forever. Part of me resents it.

The simple, repetitive lyrics are spell binding. 


I have a little Dreidel. I made it out of clay.
When it's dry and ready, then dreidel I shall play.
Oh dreidel, dreidel, dreidel, I made it out of clay.
Oh dreidel, dreidel, dreidel, then dreidel I shall play.



This irritating song was written by Samuel S. Grossman and composed by Mikhl Gelbart. Unfamiliar names to me too.

This is a cool fact:


Dreidel came about when the Greeks controlled the Jewish lands and banned Jews from learning the Torah forcing them to learn in hidden dark forests. The king had many patrols though so they couldn't always do it so the would quickly hide the Torah and pull out the Dreidel and pretend to play.

I hope your burdened with this song in your heads too, now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One.. Reading is the better festival :D

Two.. Nice choice of earworm i liked reading about it.

Three.. DREIDEL! DREIDEL! DREIDEL!

Granty said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s5GY2NY2wY

=D this is all I have to say.